Saturday, July 27, 2013

Jersey Necklace

Fabric Necklace

I have seem some of these on line and as I have mentioned before I get curious to see how I can make something out of something I already have.  My husband was getting rid of some t-shirts and I didn’t want to just throw them away I wanted to see what else I could do to up cycle them you know?  I mean sometimes I keep them for myself or I make doggie sweaters.
So I started to Google my way around online till I came across fabric necklaces. "How to make a necklace out of a t-shirt".. (amongst other things you can do with this).   So I went for it.

Well I did my first one last year 2012 and never really did anything with it.  Then I started to take all these t-shirts I had and decided to move forward and make them into necklaces since I love accessories.  Give me another reason to create something out of something I have. 

What I did notice online was that most of them were just t-shirts of the same color or mixed color strips and that was nice and all but it seemed as if though it was missing something…so I looked around  my beads and buttons and saw this cool button that I had in my button stash and decided wait a minute I can add this to it and still keep it the same color but with a little more personality.
I actually worked on old t-shirts before I started to buy the t-shirts (I ordered two so far from Joanns.com and I was lucky that day they were on sale and then I went to my local AC Moore and purchased 3 others all in colors I wanted to work on and guess what they were on sale as well) to make these.  Now I am totally in love with making these things.  Not only are they light in weight but you can manipulate them however you want wear it long or short. 

I also discovered that the t-shirt needs to be one with no sewn seems on the side.  It has to be how can I say this ummm one complete piece all the way around so that when you cut them into strips and stretch it - it won’t come apart. Trust me once you cut one and pull on it you will see what I mean if you do it off of one that has the sewn sides.  But hey even with that you can make them into a bracelet or headband so it’s not the end of the world you can still do something with a t-shirt even if it has the sewn sides.
So my next pic will be what I do with the t-shirts that are sewn on the side ...I will keep you in suspense... stay fabulous and I will see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment