Thursday, May 22, 2014

Chocolate Baked Gluten Free Donuts

I have a friend that only likes gluten free everything.  I have never tried it and have never thought of even baking gluten free.  I can see the benefits of eating gluten free but thank goodness I can do either one but for now will stick to non-gluten free til I master the gluten free baking. 

This friend of mine had said to me that I should try it just see how the recipes would turn out since I love to bake.  So of course, you can’t give me a challenge like this and expect me not to do it!?   Now I will say, I did have to look up some recipes to guide me in my first gluten free donut.  However, I discovered that the only items I needed (which is highlighted in red) was the only thing I needed to get – everything else I already had.
There are many many recipes out there that require so many other ingredients in making gluten free donuts like xanthan gum or almond flour and I didn't want to go looking for something and pay for something that I probably wouldn't use again so I stuck with just the multi-purpose flour for now.  Now trust me since these did come out really good if I make more in the future and the recipe calls for almond flour or xanthan gum then yes I will go out and get the ingredients and give it a try.  But for now this recipe turned out pretty good. Here the items that I needed to make my donuts:

Doughnuts (12 doughnuts)
2 cups Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Flour  
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2  teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
3/4 cup vanilla extract (yes I actually put this much in my recipe)
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1 tub of chocolate & vanilla frosting

-Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease two doughnut pans.
-Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
-With an electric mixer, beat the butter, vanilla extract and milk. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating 
  well.
-Stir into the butter mixer the dry ingredients little by little until it’s all mixed.  Scrape the sides of the bowl
 and keep mixing for about 2 minutes.
-Fill into your prepared doughnut pans. Allow the batter to rest for 10-15 minutes before baking. (this will
  help the donuts a lot!! Be patient)
-Bake the doughnuts for 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven, let them cool down for just a minute or
  two before turning them out onto a rack to cool.
-Dip the cooled doughnuts into the chocolate frosting and turn them out onto a cooling rack set on top of 
  wax paper, to catch the drips. Then drizzle the vanilla frosting over it as well (and vice a versa).

Enjoy homemade baked gluten free donuts. For me they did have a very light taste to them not a heavy donut taste…YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment