Monday, October 28, 2013

Quilts by Yolanda

I have tinkered with quilting…yes quilting.  My hats off to those individuals that are into quilting these gorgeous extravagant ones because it's not that easy at least for me (soon I will get there).

pink & brown quilt
31inWx42inL


What started this off for me was my husband was getting rid of some clothes and I was like you know I am sure I can upcycle or just use some of the colors of the items to make something.  So I researched online how to do quilting.  And I found it out that it was fairly simple if you are going to keep it simple …which I was.  I wasn’t one to want to venture into making these extravagant gorgeous quilts (at least not yet right!?).  So I went to AC Moore to get my tools the rotary cutter and a mat for cutting to start along with some batting. I also discovered that how I was making mine (which is how I found myself more comfortable with) was called patchwork quilting.
So I started making my husband a quilt with his old clothes.  And I was very happy with it. I used a flannel blanket in a solid color to match one of the colors in the front.  This actually turned out really really nice.  My husband loves it.

So since I did this one as my trial run quilt I wanted to try to make another one.  So AC Moore had these kits per say with baby colors and ducks etc.  I purchased one of their kits. I followed the instructions and that one believe it or not SOLD!  I made a like 2 more after that and I have left it at that for now.  The pink and brown one shown here was from a kit and the chocolate latte one I came up with that pattern to put those together.
chocolate latte quilt
38wx42L
I do plan on going back to making more since I do have some very pretty fabric that I can truly make some pretty ones.

All of these are made with 7x7 fabrics squares that are 100% cotton. Batting is cotton/polyester blend. Definitely machine was and dry. 

If you find yourself throwing clothes away don’t do that …give to charity or do what I did upcycle!






No comments:

Post a Comment